Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Organizational Player

1/5/14
Every minor league team is stocked with "organizational players". These are players who are not considered prospects and to whom the Major League front office pays minimal attention. This post is based on the many organizational players I've watched over the years.

I wonder if he knows. I wonder if he's ever even heard the term "organizational player". He's in his fifth season of minor league baseball and he's never batted above .247 or hit more than six home runs in a season. I wonder if he realizes he's just filler on the roster so they'll have enough warm bodies to field a team. I wonder if he still dreams of the Big Leagues. I wonder if he still goes to the park every day expecting-hoping-that the manager will call him into his office, shake his hand, and say "Congratulations; we just got a call from the big club..."

Surely he can read the writing on the wall. He's been around long enough to know how it works. He only plays two or three times per week, almost always batting ninth. His role on the team is primarily pinch-running or coaching first base. Surely he knows he's in a little over his head, even at this level. He's enthusiastic, but he's a step behind the other guys. His bat is not quite quick enough, nor his arm strong enough. But he's a heads-up player and I can tell he understands the game. 

I guess it's not a bad job, being an organizational player. He may never make it to the Majors, but he still gets to play baseball for a living. He has his name announced to thousands of fans. He signs autographs for kids. He has a locker with his name above it (it's written in Sharpie on athletic tape, but still). Even if it is the low minor leagues, it's a job that millions of youngsters would love to have.

I've been watching him closely all season. I'm pulling for him. I cheer for him as loudly as I can without embarrassing him or myself. I hope he's having fun. I hope he's savoring every single moment, even the bus rides. I hope he's accumulating memories and stockpiling stories. Maybe this experience will earn him a coaching job, should he so choose. After all, some of the best managers were mediocre players.

Until the day comes to make that decision, soak it all in, Organizational Player. Play hard. Run out every ground ball. Sign as many autographs for as many star-struck kids as you can. Even in the low minors, you're living the dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment